The San Marcos Promise provides guidance and financial support to all qualifying students in the San Marcos Unified School District who aspire to pursue higher education. The San Marcos Promise also connects students with careers at an early age through collaborative business partnerships, which guide students towards a career pathway by exposing them to real life career options.
The San Marcos Promise is proud to offer up to four “Experienceships” in the 2016 – 2017 academic year exclusively for current Promise Scholars. Selected Scholars will have the opportunity to earn up to $500 a semester learning alongside The San Marcos Promise staff to gain experience in the following fields:
- Communications (marketing, creative writing, social media, video production, graphic design)
- Non-Profit Management (board management, customer relations management)
- Business & Finance (accounting, development, investments, budgets, software)
- Student / Community Outreach (tutoring, mentoring, facilitation of school clubs, peer-to-peer outreach)
Schedules will be dependent on student availability and flexible with school and work. Scholars are expected to complete a minimum of 8 hours/week to receive the full funding with the possibility of Experienceship renewal.
Minimum Requirements for The San Marcos Promise Experienceships Application:
- Complete online application prior to August 17, 2016
- Must be a 2016 -17 Promise scholarship recipient
- Unofficial transcript with minimum 2.5 GPA
- Personal statement (500 word or less)
- Three professional references (provide name, title, phone, email address)
- Complete Panel Interview (if selected)
Personal Statement Instructions:
Provide a personal statement discussing what sets you apart from other students. Assess what motivates you, what your professional plans and achievements are, and what, if any, adversities you have overcome. Be sure to discuss how this Experienceship will have a positive impact on your career goals. Adhere to standard grammar and writing rules. The statement should be no more than 500 words, double-spaced, and typed. Include your name in the upper right – hand corner and attach as part of your application package.
How to Apply:
- Complete online application by clicking here
- Email unofficial transcript, personal statement and professional references to Promise Guidance Technician, Angelica Lopez (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than August 17, 2016.
- If selected following preliminary screening of applicants, you will be contacted to participate in a panel interview to determine 2016 – 17 awardees.