PACE Promise / Partners Advancing College Education
The PACE Promise is a joint program of San Marcos Unified School District (SMUSD) and California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) funded via The San Marcos Promise (TSMP). The PACE Promise guarantees CSUSM admission to all district students continuously enrolled in the district from 9th through 12th grade who meet entrance requirements. This program began with the SMUSD graduating classes of 2009.
The Promise provides a step-by-step plan of preparation for college. Beginning in ninth grade, San Marcos Unified students must work to fulfill program expectations. Meeting these requirements also prepares students for admission to most California public and private universities and colleges. Students who meet all academic benchmarks receive a $1,000 scholarship for up to four years. A total scholarship benefit of $4,000 per student. To maintain PACE eligibility, students are required to maintain concurrent full-time enrollment at CSUSM (12 unit minimum), a 2.0 GPA, and complete 20 hours of community service per reporting guidelines to The San Marcos Promise.
Purpose of the Promise
- To provide students the necessary academic tools for entering college without remediation.
- To improve access, retention and college completion for underrepresented students.
- To raise academic expectations and ensure that students not only qualify for college admission but thrive when they get there.
- To expand comprehensive support services and to target every student in every school.
- To offset tuition and mandatory fees that may be an obstacle to attending college.
PACE PROMISE REQUIREMENTS
$1,000 scholarship for up to four years to attend California State University, San Marcos
*PACE Promise Scholarship will end with the class of 2019 (students who qualify will receive the funding for their 4 years at CSUSM as long as they meet the continuing requirements while in college).
**PACE Promise will still offer guaranteed admission to students (class of 2019 and beyond) as long as requirements are met.
- Attend SMUSD schools from 9th-12th grade
- Complete all A-G coursework with “C” or better
- Meet CSU Eligibility Index https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/eligibility-index
- Demonstrate readiness for college level work (visit www.csustudentsuccess.org for detailed information).
Deadline: November 30, 2018
- Submit CSU Application to CSUSM https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/freshman
Deadline: March 2, 2019
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) https://fafsa.ed.gov or California Dream Act Application https://dream.csac.ca.gov/
- Complete TSMP Scholar Application
- Complete EVERFI financial literacy online course. Click here for details on course registration.
Deadline: July 15, 2019
- Submit your OFFICIAL final high school transcript to Cal State San Marcos via parchment.com or visit your high school counseling office