Palomar currently offers two pathways for SMUSD graduates interested in pursuing college-level coursework upon graduation: the Palomar Promise & Palomar Promise+.
Starting in the Fall of 2017, eligible graduates of San Marcos Unified School District (SMUSD) will be able to attend Palomar College full-time and tuition-free for up to two years while pursuing an associate’s degree, transfer requirements, and/or a certificate program leading to job placement and a promising career.
Palomar research suggests when students begin course work at college level, having eliminated the need for remediation, their chances to successfully complete a two-year program is much greater. The Palomar Promise provides a clear pathway for students to prepare for college-level work and offset higher education costs.
Palomar Promise Scholars will receive up to $600/semester or $1,200/year in tuition assistance for up to two-years based on expected family contribution (EFC).
PALOMAR PROMISE REQUIREMENTS
Deadline: March 2, 2019
- Apply for Admission (palomar.edu)
Select “HS graduate,” NOT “HS student”
Add Palomar College (001260) for your college
- Apply for First Year Experience (FYE) Program / Promise (lower right of the Student Center screen)
Questions or concerns with FYE or Promise applications: visit www.palomar.edu/fye or call 760-744-1150 ext. 3931
To qualify for Palomar Promise+ (year 2 funding)
Deadline: March 2, 2019
Additional Requirements (upon graduation)
- Graduate high school with a 2.5 GPA
- “College Ready” in Math, Reading and English upon high school graduation
OTHER STEPS TO COMPLETE (before you will be able to enroll in classes)
- Submit your final high school transcript to Palomar College by July 1, 2019
- Complete Orientation at Palomar College or online
- Complete an Educational Plan with a Palomar College counselor
Assessment– The English, Reading and Math placement results are based on the information you provide on the Palomar College application for admission. Find results on eServices student portal (bottom right corner of the Student Center page)
Funding: Promise Plus funds are last dollar up to $600/semester ($1200 max per year)
To maintain eligibility students must:
- Maintain full-time status (12 units or more per semester), a 2.0 overall GPA and be continuously enrolled as a Palomar student to receive funding each semester.
- Complete the FAFSA or CA DREAM Act by the deadline each year
- Complete a minimum of 20 volunteer hours per academic year at TSMP, SMUSD, and/or community events as communicated through TSMP staff.
Palomar Promise Details: www.palomar.edu/palomarpromise
First Year Experience: www.palomar.edu/fye
Palomar College Admissions: (760) 744-1150 x2164
The San Marcos Promise: (760) 290-2890
Questions? Visit your counselor or the College & Career Center